Never overlook or ignore driveway asphalt cracks in Midland, as small cracks tend to get larger over time, eventually compromising the integrity of the pavement. Large cracks, chips, and other such damage allow water to pool around the base of your driveway’s concrete or asphalt, weakening the material and leading to even more damage!
The best way to repair concrete and asphalt cracks in Midland TX is to call an expert paving contractor! A Midland paving contractor evaluates the extent of driveway damage and ensures such cracks and chips are repaired properly, and can also note if the pavement needs replacing. However, you might consider some DIY tips for repairing minor driveway asphalt cracks in Midland and a few signs that indicate it’s time to plan on a full driveway replacement for a Midland area home.
To Repair Driveway Asphalt Cracks in Midland
For repairing minor driveway asphalt cracks in Midland, try the following procedure:
- Start by removing any weeds and vegetation from the crack.
- Use a stiff-bristled brush to sweep out debris including chunks of asphalt, gravel, pebbles, and as much dirt as possible. For larger cracks and potholes, try a leaf blower to make quick work of this cleaning!
- Use a screwdriver to scrape away any loose asphalt from the sides of the crack. Sweep away this debris as well.
- Fill the crack with asphalt crack sealer. Tamp down the filler material and add more, continuing to tamp it down, until the material is level and even with the pavement.
- Allow the filler to dry as instructed on the package. Ensure you avoid driving or walking on the patched area until it’s set thoroughly.
- Apply a sealant as needed.
How Long Does Midland Driveway Crack Filler Take to Dry?
Each filler material is different so it’s vital homeowners check the package instructions for needed dry time before applying filler. However, note that the hot Texas sun might interfere with a filler material’s ability to set and cure properly. To ensure you don’t damage the filler as it cures, allow at least 24 hours if not even longer for the material to dry before adding a second layer, if needed.
It’s also vital to allow sufficient drying and curing time before you walk or drive on the filled crack, typically 48 hours after applying the last layer. In some cases, it might take up to six months for Midland driveway crack filler to dry and harden completely, so don’t rush driving, walking, riding bikes, skating, or otherwise going over the surface of your freshly repaired driveway.
What Causes Asphalt Driveway Cracks in Midland TX?
Understanding the causes of asphalt driveway cracks in Midland TX can mean avoiding as many cracks and as much damage as possible! Check out a few reasons why your asphalt driveway might crack, chip, develop potholes and spalling, or otherwise suffer damage over the years:
- Motor oil and other automotive fluids break down the petroleum binders in asphalt. You might even notice potholes forming in areas where your car drips oil! If you can’t repair a vehicle’s oil leak, put down some cardboard or other materials to protect asphalt from exposure to motor oil.
- The hot Texas sun often leads to driveway asphalt cracks in Midland. The hot sun hardens asphalt, causing it to become brittle and then crack, spall, break, sink, or chip. You can avoid this damage by watering down your home’s driveway regularly during hot summer months, as this will cool the surface and keep it from becoming overly dry.
- Improper installation and a poor base or foundation for new asphalt often leads to driveway asphalt cracks in Midland and surrounding areas. Your poorly-installed driveway might be even more prone to cracks and other damage if you drive a heavy vehicle such as a truck or camper or otherwise subject the driveway to excessive wear and tear.
- While regular rinsing keeps a driveway cool in summer, excess moisture softens asphalt and leads to cracks, chips, and other damage. If you notice standing water on your home’s driveway, your property might require grading or sloping or other means of improving drainage.
Why Call the Pros to Repair Cracks in Driveways in Midland
It’s not always as easy to repair cracks in driveways in Midland as you might assume. Investing in professional driveway repaving is often worth the asphalt installation costs in Midland, for a variety of reasons:
- A professional asphalt installation contractor in Midland will evaluate the cause of cracks, chips, potholes, spalling, and other damage, and ensure those reasons are addressed before making repairs. Failing to address the reasons for asphalt cracks and chips only leads to more damage over time.
- A Midland asphalt installation contractor knows when asphalt is beyond repair and needs resurfacing or replacing. He or she will also ensure your current asphalt is strong enough to hold larger patches and won’t simply crack under the pressure of a newly patched spot along your driveway.
- Without proper prep work, asphalt repairs in Midland might separate from the current asphalt, soften or crack, or otherwise have a shorter lifespan than expected! Investing in professional asphalt crack repair ensures those repairs last as long as possible so you don’t waste time or money on ineffective fixes.
- Rather than patching several areas of damage, your driveway might benefit from a Midland chip seal. Chip sealant is similar to asphalt repaving but is more affordable and often extends the life of your driveway by several years. An asphalt installation company in Midland will know if your driveway is a good candidate for chip sealant.
Repairing driveway asphalt cracks in Midland TX is also physically difficult, as filler material is sometimes heavy and takes some strength to tamp down into a hole or crack. Some filler materials might also release bothersome odors or be irritating to your skin. To ensure your own protection and know that the job gets done right, rely on asphalt installation contractors in Midland Texas for all the pavement crack repair work you need to have done.